Applications for 2018 now open
Volunteers are the heart and soul of World Science Festival Brisbane, serving as our ambassadors.
They offer a welcoming smile to visitors, helping them navigate the Festival, to purchase tickets, find something to eat, and get to their performances on time. Volunteers also play an integral role behind the scenes by assisting the delivery team with administration duties and setting up the event infrastructure.
World Science Festival Brisbane could not take place without the generosity of our 200-strong team of volunteers whose invaluable commitment and support allows us to deliver five days of thought-provoking conversations, inspiring theatrical and cinematic experiences, interactive workshops and engaging demonstrations, which explore and celebrate the entanglement of science and art.
Generally, volunteers contribute eight to 12 hours of time over the five day Festival. However, many volunteers undertake more hours and increased responsibilities, such as supporting the Volunteer Coordinator with the on-ground supervision of Festival volunteers.
What qualifications do I need?
- Comfortable working with people of all backgrounds and ages
- Excellent communication skills
- Dedication, commitment, reliability, flexibility and professionalism
- A background in science is an asset, but a passion for learning and sharing knowledge is key
- Computer skills
- 16 years or older.
What roles are available?
There are a number of fun and exciting roles, including:
- Assisting staff with administration duties in the World Science Festival Brisbane office
- Working with the delivery team to set up the event infrastructure
- Greeting patrons and helping them navigate the Festival site and answering general enquiries
- Ushering patrons to their seats
- Escorting World Science Festival Brisbane participants to venues
- Supervising other Festival volunteers.
What are the benefits of volunteering?
Benefits of volunteering at the Festival include the opportunity to meet and network with World Science Festival Brisbane presenters and Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths (STEM) industry professionals, support the STEM community and gaining invaluable experience in the events industry.
As a thank you, volunteers also receive discounts, special offers and complimentary tickets.
How do I apply?
To register your interest in volunteering at World Science Festival Brisbane in 2018 you will need to submit an application.
Click here to apply. Applications close Friday 12 January 2018.
Note: If you experience any difficulties with the form on a mobile device, please try using a desktop computer. If issues persist, please notify the World Science Festival Team by telephoning 07 3842 9103.